Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Blueberry Orange Muffins (Gluten-Free)


As I mentioned previously, I am a relative newbie when it comes to gluten-free baking. Neither David nor I eat a gluten-free diet, so most of my baking ventures involve traditional ingredients. We do have a few friends, however, who follow a gluten-free lifestyle. I made these muffins when one such friend came over for brunch.

I'll admit that I wasn't quite sure what to expect, as I'm not sure that I had ever even eaten a gluten-free muffin before. I must say, I was pleasantly surprised. Everyone agreed that these were quite tasty. They're moist and tender with tons of juicy fresh blueberries and subtle hints of orange. These may have actually been some of the best muffins I've ever made. Feel free to change up the flavors. I'm sure chocolate chips would be great in place of blueberries, or maybe sub the orange zest for lemon zest.

Blueberry Orange Muffins (Gluten-Free)
adapted from King Arthur Flour

5 1/4 ounces sugar
4 ounces (1/2 cup, 1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
zest of one orange
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 large eggs
10 1/2 ounces gluten-free multi-purpose flour (I highly recommend this one)
 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
4 ounces milk
1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries
2 teaspoons coarse sanding sugar

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with muffin liners. To aid release, spray liners with non-stick spray.
2. Combine sugar, butter, salt, baking powder, nutmeg, cinnamon, orange zest, and vanilla extract in a mixing bowl. Beat on medium-high until fluffy.
3. Add eggs one at a time, scraping the bowl and beater blades after each addition.
4. Whisk flour with xanthan gum. Alternatively add flour mixture and milk to the mixing bowl, beating on medium-low speed until thoroughly combined. Stir in blueberries.
5. Divide batter evenly between twelve muffin cups. Cups should be filled to the top. You may want to smooth the tops a bit, as they won't smooth out while baking. Sprinkle muffins with sanding sugar.
6. Allow muffins to rest for 10 minutes. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until tops of muffins are lightly browned. Allow muffins to cool for 5 minutes in the pan. Serve warm if desired, or allow to cool to room temperature on a cooling rack.

Linked to: Tasty Tuesdays, Tempt My Tummy Tuesday, Totally Tasty Tuesday, Gluten-Free Wednesdays, Show and Tell Wednesday, What I Whipped Up Wednesday, Trick or Treat Tuesday, Mrs. Fox's Sweet Party

1 comment:

  1. I love orange taste in muffins and cakes! These look so deliicous!

    ReplyDelete