Thursday, February 2, 2012

Mini Nutella-Frangelico Cheesecake Bites


As I'm sure most of you know, Sunday is a big day. A day that many of us have been anxiously awaiting since last year. No, I'm not talking about the Super Bowl. This is much bigger and more important than some football game. I'm talking about World Nutella Day. The one day of the year dedicated to celebrating that wonderful chocolate-hazelnut concoction that so many around the globe love.


So, how will you be celebrating this year? Perhaps you'll start the day off with Nutella waffles? How about a Nutella latte as an afternoon pick-me-up? Or maybe you're the type to just eat it straight out of the jar, on a spoon (or your fingers). Not that I would ever do such a thing. Of course not. I am a sophisticated Southern lady, after all. (Alright, those that know me can stop laughing now).

We at the Sweet Natured Treats household will celebrate World Nutella Day as we celebrate most special occasions: with cheesecake. Mini Nutella-Frangelico Cheesecake Bites, actually. These tiny bites of cheesecake heaven combine a chocolate wafer crust made with a touch of Frangelico (hazelnut liquer), swirled Frangelico and Nutella cheesecake, and a dollop of Frangelico infused ganache. They're everything a Nutella lover could want. If you're feeling generous, you could even share them with friends at a Super Bowl party. Or keep them all for yourself. Totally up to you.

Mini Nutella-Frangelico Cheesecake Bites
Yield: 8 mini cheesecakes (12 if using a mini-muffin tin)
source: an Angie original


Crust
3 ounces chocolate wafer cookies (I used theseOreos with the centers removed will work fine)
1 tablespoon butter, melted
1 tablespoon Frangelico (or other hazelnut liquer)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a mini cheesecake pan with non-stick spray. Alternatively, you can line a mini muffin tin with papers.
2. Finely crush the cookies. Combine with the melted butter and Frangelico. Stir to thoroughly combine. If using a mini cheesecake pan, firmly press the mixture into eight of the wells; fill twelve wells if using a mini muffin tin.
3. Bake for 10-12 minutes, keeping a close watch to ensure crust does not burn. Remove from oven and allow to thoroughly cool.

Cheesecake Filling
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tablespoon Frangelico (or other hazelnut liquer)
2 tablespoons Nutella

1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Beat cream cheese with an electric mixer on medium-low for one minute. Add sugar and beat on low until smooth. Scrape sides of bowl and beater blade. Add egg and continue beating until combined. Scrape sides of bowl again, add Frangelico, and beat until incorporated.
2. Transfer approximately half of filling to another small bowl. Stir the Nutella into half of the filling. Drop spoonfuls of each batter over the prepared crust, and lightly swirl.
3. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until set. Remove from oven and allow to cool to room temperature, then chill in the refrigerator for at least two hours.

Frangelico Ganache
3 ounces bittersweet chocolate
1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
1 tablespoon butter, unsalted, room temperature
1 tablespoon Frangelico

1. Combine chocolate and whipping cream in a microwave safe bowl. Heat on medium-low heat in 30 second intervals, stirring after each interval, until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth. DO NOT ALLOW MIXTURE TO BOIL. Allow chocolate to cool slightly, and them whisk in butter and Frangelico until incorporated.
2. Allow mixture to thicken to piping consistency. This may take several minutes. You may wish to place the ganache in the refrigerator or freezer to speed cooling, but be sure to whisk the mixture and check consistency at least every 10 minutes.
3. Transfer thickened ganache into a piping bag fitted with either a large open or closed star tip, depending on the pattern that you desire. Pipe ganache on top of cakes in desired pattern.

Linked to: Foodie Friday, Comfy in the Kitchen, Fusion Fridays, Flaunt it Friday, Sweet Tooth Friday, It's a Hodgepodge Friday, Shine On Fridays, Sweets for a Saturday, Mouth Watering Monday, Market Yourself Monday, Just Something I Whipped Up, Melt in Your Mouth Monday, Making the World Cuter, Creative Me Monday, Show Me How, Tempt My Tummy, Tea Party Tuesday, Trick or Treat Tuesday, Tasty Tuesdays, Mrs Fox's Sweet Party, Midweek Fiesta, Sweet Treats Thursday, Famous Linkz, Tastetastic Thursday, Sweet Temptations, One Stop Shoppe, Kitchen Fun and Crafty Friday, Ingredient Spotlight

29 comments:

  1. This sounds wonderful! I am so glad I found your blog on Sandy's Kitchen.
    Thank you for this treat! Just in time!
    Debbie from the NW

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look Devine! I didn't know about nutella day but now that I do, I plan to partake!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must be dreaming, I simply love nutella and these mini cheesecake look perfectly delicious

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful cheesecakes bites! I love nutella!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm! What a yummy treat! Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These sound and look great! Love the background...you'll see why if you follow me back! I'm your newest follower now too! Can't wait to check out the rest of your blog! I found your blog through Susan@The Weekly Sweet Experiment!

    ReplyDelete
  7. YUM!

    I love Nutella. And cheesecake. These are beautiful.

    I have a recipe on my site for chocolate wafers if you ever want to make your own.

    I love that you made these in a mini muffin pan instead of with individual rings. I have a mini muffin pan that I could use. These look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I will have to check out your chocolate wafer recipe. I've made them before, but I was feeling a little lazy and just went with store-bought this time.

      Delete
  8. So funny - you may not believe this but I have never tried Nutella. I know - I live under a rock. So I just bought my first jar and was unsure what to do. I found my answer. These cheesecake bites look delicious! I am going to have to try them :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Those look amazing. I'm pinning them for later, because I must eat one. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are so cute and elegant. I love Nutella, and I had no idea Sunday was World Nutella Day :( I found you via the Sumo's Sweet Stuff Link Party.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nutella is my favorite thing ever! I seriously could eat a whole jar with a spoon. These look so good.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wowwww! Those look positively deLICious! Thanks so much for linking up at Shine on Fridays; hope you'll be back again this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. ok, I was so excited to see these linked up at the Tea Party - I have wanted to come by and see these yummy treats as I have seen them on other link ups! They are amazing I bet- I pinned for future!!! Thx again

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks fabulous and I just pinned it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes please! These are so cute, nice photo too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. With Nutella day falling on a Sunday, and me being without internet that weekend, I kind of missed it. Your treats look great!

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are adorable and sound just delicious. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow these sound amazing but they also look adorable! And you can't go wrong with Nutella!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Holy heck! What deliciousness! So glad I stumbled upon your blog... just pinned your red velvet cheesecake too... and there's so many other tasty treats here too. I am your newest GFC follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. You had me at Nutella:-) Those sound down right amazing!!!! Thank you so much for sharing these delicious bites on Trick or Treat Tuesday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yum, nutella! They look adorable. One question: Do you think it's necessary to bake the crust by itself? I'm not sure I would bake until the cheesecake was put on top. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jen - I wouldn't recommend skipping that step. If the crust isn't baked by itself, it tends to be soggy and it doesn't hold together as well. I have seen people use whole cookies (oreos, nilla wafers, etc) as cheesecake crusts, and those do not need to be baked separately, so something like that could be an option.

      Delete
  22. so cute! and who doesn't love frangelico?? heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  23. this looks and sounds great!! I made nutella brownies for the first time this week..yum yum!
    I am your newest follower...pls follow back if you can!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh wow- this looks absolutely incredible. I have a full bottle of Frangelico down in the basement and this looks like a great recipe to use it for!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Can i substitute the Frangelico with something else?

    ReplyDelete