Thursday, February 23, 2012

Whole Wheat Blueberry Lemon Yogurt Pancakes


I was never overly crazy about pancakes when I was growing up. I would eat them on occasion, but they certainly weren't at the top of my list of favorite breakfast foods. I attribute that mainly to growing up in a house that used "pancake" syrup. I was not a fan of "pancake" syrup at all, so I usually ate pancakes and waffles topped with some sort of jam or jelly.

My change in opinion came on the day that I discovered real maple syrup. I suddenly understood what all the fuss over pancakes was about. I was still a boxed mix kind of girl until one day a few years ago I was craving pancakes, and much to my dismay I discovered I was all out of pancake mix. Fortunately I was armed with a well stocked pantry and the power of the internet. One quick Google search later, and we were in business.


That first recipe that I tried was for basic buttermilk pancakes. They were very tasty, but quite lacking in the nutrition department. While you may not guess it from looking at the desserts that I typically post, I actually try to make healthy choices 90% of the time. At first, I tried making pancakes with all regular whole wheat flour. I liked the results just fine, but David gave them a big thumbs down.

Enter white whole wheat flour: all the nutritional benefits of whole wheat flour with a lighter color and texture. It's truly the best of both worlds. Then I subbed the buttermilk for half plain yogurt-half milk, since I'm more likely to have those ingredients on hand. For this batch, I added the juice and zest of a lemon and fresh blueberries. I thought they turned out great, especially with the addition of a healthy dose of maple syrup. David wholeheartedly agreed. So, if you're looking for a pancake recipe that's nutritionally sound and will please even the picky eaters in your house, try these out.

Whole Wheat Blueberry Lemon Yogurt Pancakes
adapted from allrecipes.com
Yield: two generous servings


1 cup white whole wheat flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup plain yogurt (I usually use greek yogurt; use less milk if using regular yogurt)
1/2 cup milk
1 egg
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 tablespoon melted butter
zest and juice of one lemon
1 pint fresh blueberries

1. Whisk all dry ingredients together in a medium sized bowl. I like to use a glass measuring cup with a spout for ease of pouring.
2. Mix yogurt and milk together in a medium bowl until fairly smooth. Add egg, vanilla extract, melted butter, lemon juice, and lemon zest. Beat until well combined.
3. Pour wet ingredients over dry ingredients and stir just until combined. Do not over mix or pancakes may be tough. Batter will likely look a little lumpy. Set mixture aside to rest for 15 minutes.
4. Spray a griddle or frying pan with non-stick spray or rub with oil and heat on medium high. When a drop of water sizzles on the surface of the pan, it is hot enough.
5. Pour rounds of batter of desired size onto the heated griddle. Immediately drop blueberries evenly over the surface of the pancakes. Allow pancakes to cook until golden brown on both sides, flipping only once. Spray or re-oil griddle after cooking each batch. Top as desired. Any leftovers will keep in the refrigerator for a couple of days or can be frozen for up to a month.

Linked to: Ingredient Spotlight, Full Plate Thursday, Strut Your Stuff Thursday, It's a Keeper Thursday, Chic and Crafty, Sweet Treats Thursday, Feature Yourself Friday, Foodie Friday, Sweet Tooth Fridays, Comfy in the Kitchen, Hodgepodge Friday, Shine on Friday, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Trick or Treat Tuesday

14 comments:

  1. these look fantastic! your pics are gorgeous too, can't wait to make them this weekend :)

    ps, please get rid or your word verification, took me so many tries, they are too hard now that its TWO words!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm! I love blueberry pancakes, and I bet the lemon makes them even better! Thanks for sharing at Shine on Fridays!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look so yummy! Lemon and blueberry is a great combo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look great, I love the combination of lemon and blueberry! Love your pictures too and the way you decorated the plate - so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These sound fantastic, love lemon and bluberry together!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a delicious combination with the lemon & blueberries! Beautiful photos :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Angie,
    I just love the lemon yogurt and blueberries in your recipe. I can't wait to make these wonderful cakes. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday. Hope you have a great week end and come back soon!
    Miz Helen
    A New Follower

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those look wonderful! I love blueberries. I can't do white pancakes for breakfast because it leaves me with the "sugar shakes" so I love a whole wheat version. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmmm these look great! I've never made whole wheat pancakes, but try to use it as much as I can in my baking. I'll have to try it in pancakes sometime, I have blueberries in the fridge..... sounds pretty good for tomorrow morning!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love blueberry pancakes - brings back good childhood memories!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a healthy yet delectable stack of pancakes!:) Throw in the maple syrup and we are all hooked ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that this uses white whole wheat flour and yogurt. I will definitely be giving this a try. LOVE pancakes!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations!
    Your recipe is featured on Full Plate Thursday this week! Hope you have a great week end and enjoy your new Red Plate.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete